Water in Crawl Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise me please? I have discovered a few inches of water in the crawl space under my dining room, it's lying just inside the exterior wall. We've had a lot of rain over the past week and I know the water table is quite high in my garden. The rest of the crawl space is soily rubble, as is the case throughout the crawl space under all other rooms. There seems very little soily rubble along the wall where the water is lying. I don't know whether to get a builder, ground worker or try to fix this myself. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Usually there is a layer of oversite concrete under suspended floors. On some old properties there may not be any. How old is your house?

I am not sure that you even have a problem that needs fixing. Whilst it is not desirable to have any water there, you may not be able to do a lot about it especially if the water table is high. The important thing is to make sure the space is well ventilated and the airbricks kept clear.

For specific advice you need to know how low the floor space is in relation to the ground levels outside. What lead you to make the discovery? Do you know that it is normally dry down there?

Hi and thanks you for commenting on this.

The bungalow is 53 years old. I discovered the water when I lifted a squeaky floorboard to fix ready for putting carpet tiles down. We've not lived here very long and have not looked under this area previously. There are several airbricks and the underside of the floorboards and joists seem dry and in good condition.

The crawl space is 26" in depth. Outside the dining room is a patio area which is well sloped away from the property onto a lawned garden which gets water logged in heavy rain. My neighbour tells me the water table in this area is high and the soil is of a clay type.

Thanks in anticipation.

With the circumstances as you have described, I would secure the squeaky floorboard and pretty much forget all about it. I really don't think you have a problem that needs fixing.

To be quite frank, I am not at all suprised you have found some water down there. The important thing is , it is not in contact with your timbers and the void is ventilated.

Should you ever carry out improvements like a conservatory, you would need to ensure that the construction does not block off the vents. That's all. :)

Sponsored Links
Hi again.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease over this. I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me.

Agree with Blagger, it is not unusual to find water beneath a suspended floor in some locations.

We found water under our suspended floor too. It turned out a rose root had been growing through the brick from outside which was pulling water in from outside with it. We dug up the root and re-pointed the bricks and the water has dried out now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back