cracked grout - Ditra?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new bathroom fitted - by a "professional" who seems to have royally messed up the tiling. Its upstairs and he has overlayed the existing wooden floor with 12mm WPB. I provided 30x30cm porcelain tiles which he layed, but it loks like he didnlt use a flexible enough grout / adhesive. After only 3 days the grout in almost every join is cracking and you can feel the tiles moving. Obviously they're going to have to be re-layed. I guess BAL Fastfel would be good for the adhesive, and maybe Superflex for the grout. Please let me know if I'm wrong here.

Do you think this could be a job for Ditra matting to further eliminate any movement in the substrate?

A quick question, is it easy to remove existing adhesive / grout from tiles and thenrelay them, or will I need 'virgin' tiles?

I'm not happy - he's not getting his money til its fixed.

Sponsored Links
Ditra matting won't give the floor any more strength.

Also check that the ply has been screwed down at 200 centers

Without knowing what adhesive/grout was used its hard to say how easily it can be removed, assuming its a powdered adhesive then it won't be easy.

BAL Rapidset flexi should do the job but the Fastflex will be even more flexible. Superflex Widejoint will be OK with the rapidset but if you go for fastflex add some GT1 to make it as flexible as the adhesive.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back