Cracked render and damp outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im freaking out about a problem so please go easy on me.

I'm a carer for my mother who has Parkinsons and dementia and noticed recently a crack in the render on the wall outside and a big long damp patch next to the drain pipe going all the way down to the bottom of the render where it meets the brick. On the inside, the wall paper has peeled away in small section in downstairs room although that has been like that quite a while (please don't judge, there's always so much to do)
IMG_20230330_170646.jpg
and I think may be connected to damage that was caused by a roof leak back in 2017 which was fixed. Aside from the peeled wallpaper, the walls don't feel damp. But the outside doesn't look good and I'm really scared about how much it may cost to fix.

I am in the process of getting the house ready for hopefully a live in carer and I dont know how I didn't notice this before. I've checked streetview and images from 2 years ago show it wasn't there then.

If anyone can advise what may be the cause (blocked drains perhaps?) And possible costs to get it fixed it would be much appreciated. Images attached

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_170759.jpg
    IMG_20230330_170759.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Would you post pics showing the lower roof and the upper roof, and the ground level/gulley where the down pipe ends?
Pics of any interior signs of damp damage (no matter how old) downstairs or upstairs would also help?
Inside the house, mirror opposite to the down pipe, is there a chimney breast?

Would you post pics showing the lower roof and the upper roof, and the ground level/gulley where the down pipe ends?
Pics of any interior signs of damp damage (no matter how old) downstairs or upstairs would also help?
Thanks, I'll get some photos in the morning when it's light and upload them. The chimney is 11 o clock as you look at that pipe and in another room

Hi, here are the photos. The interior one is downstairs right behind the damp patch outside, and is the only room in the house affected and is where the paper peeled away although doesnt feel damp now. Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_120225.jpg
    IMG_20230331_120225.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20230331_120242.jpg
    IMG_20230331_120242.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230331_120238.jpg
    IMG_20230331_120238.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230331_120832.jpg
    IMG_20230331_120832.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
There’s a big clump of grass blocking the down pipe and rain water is pouring over the end of the gutter and down the wall.

There’s a big clump of grass blocking the down pipe and rain water is pouring over the end of the gutter and down the wall.
Are you telling me all this is down to a clump of grass that has no right to even be up there haha

I'd not even spotted that, if its that simple then that'd be great. But hopefully the damage from the damp isn't too much... fingers crossed

OP,
As above, the gutter outlet appears to be blocked with grass/debris - the overflow from any gutter blockage could be entering the large crack in the render - after entering behind the render the water might then be penetrating the brickwork to show up on the interior decorated surfaces.
The problem with my theory is that you have cavity walls so the moisture that penetrate the outer skin will have to somehow bridge across to the inner skin?

However, moisture could be entering at the uneven lower roof tiles, and the strange flashing arrangement -
The cause of the damp wallpaper needs to be found?
Whoever goes up on the roof must check out and correct all defaults besides removing gutter blockages,
A Boroscope probe into the cavity should show whats happening in the cavity?

The whole panel of dark, damp or damaged render will need hacking back to brick & renewing.
Remove all vegetation from the down pipe at ground level and post a pic of whats to be seen.
The air bricks seem to be above the FFL height?
Have you been under the suspended floors & inspected the joist tails, and for ample cross ventilation?

After all repairs - use a hose to water test for soundness.
What is the large square lump on the roof if its nothing to do with chimney breasts and flues?

OP,
As above, the gutter outlet appears to be blocked with grass/debris - the overflow from any gutter blockage could be entering the large crack in the render - after entering behind the render the water might then be penetrating the brickwork to show up on the interior decorated surfaces.
The problem with my theory is that you have cavity walls so the moisture that penetrate the outer skin will have to somehow bridge across to the inner skin?

However, moisture could be entering at the uneven lower roof tiles, and the strange flashing arrangement -
The cause of the damp wallpaper needs to be found?
Whoever goes up on the roof must check out and correct all defaults besides removing gutter blockages,
A Boroscope probe into the cavity should show whats happening in the cavity?

The whole panel of dark, damp or damaged render will need hacking back to brick & renewing.
Remove all vegetation from the down pipe at ground level and post a pic of whats to be seen.
The air bricks seem to be above the FFL height?
Have you been under the suspended floors & inspected the joist tails, and for ample cross ventilation?

After all repairs - use a hose to water test for soundness.
What is the large square lump on the roof if its nothing to do with chimney breasts and flues?
Thankyou for the detailed reply. I managed to catch it today when it was raining and filmed the water from my window, leaking out of the drain and down onto the render. So it appears that grass is indeed blocking it. (screenshot of video attached, that's the water falling down)

Also, I've attached some photos of base of pipe with cleared vegetation.

The damp wallpaper peeling could have actually been from a leak at the same part of the roof which was fixed in 2017, as back then, water was leaking through the roof, but stopped after the leak was fixed and the wall isn't damp when I touch it now.

I'm not sure what that square thing on the roof is, i only noticed it when taking the photos, there's never been any other chimneys in the house as far as I'm aware and no fireplaces that I've seen unless it's been blocked up, but she's been here since 1998 so maybe before that there was...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331_185500_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_185500_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230331_190102.jpg
    IMG_20230331_190102.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230331_190117.jpg
    IMG_20230331_190117.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 31
In the pics the down pipe goes straight into the ground suggesting it might be going to a soakaway - however, root around at the base of the pipe to see if there's an earth filled gulley or a rising piece from a soakaway drain.
Water should not be discharging into the ground next to your house wall.

Maybe the roof hump was a later addition to house say a large water tank - similar happened in ww2.

In the pics the down pipe goes straight into the ground suggesting it might be going to a soakaway - however, root around at the base of the pipe to see if there's an earth filled gulley or a rising piece from a soakaway drain.
Water should not be discharging into the ground next to your house wall.

Maybe the roof hump was a later addition to house say a large water tank - similar happened in ww2.
Ok cool, thanks for all your help it's much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back