cracked sink repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after carefully tapping out the holes on a new wallmounted small rectangular bathroom basin, i've ended up with a 3 inch hairline crack originating from one of the holes.

this is most annoying as it's brand new, and i dont think i can take it back. I did hit it with a centrepunch and hammer harder and harder, being as careful as possible, but....

i'm aware that one option is to drill a hole directly in the parth of the crack so that if it grows it stops there, on the other hand, it is on the outer [structural] side of the sink and not part of the water holding basin.

another thought revolves around epoxying a rectangle of thin ceramic/glass to the back of the sink to reinforce it.

whats the prognosis for all of this? anything advice other than buy a new one please! ;)

bert.

Sponsored Links
Regretfully have done this meself in a customer's house - most embarassing :oops:.

That taught me not to be a lazy basket and next time go down to the van for the 8oz ball pein hammer (which, i think you will find, the instructions suggest using.) rather than use the claw hammer from the adjacent tool bag. :rolleyes:

Never come across instructions to use a centrepunch though :eek: - hardly surprising it cracked TBH.

Sponsored Links
spot on kev, - as i didnt want to fork out the few extra quid for the pall pein,
i'm indeed a self confessed cheapsk8 :)

i've drilled a second hole with a bench drill so the crack has 2 dead ends, and epoxyed it all up, it's now better than new!

b/

I've always used a centre punch. Did you do it from the glazed side?

kevplumb said:
pay a plumber

ohh i do hope it costs you a BIG wedge to replace it :rolleyes:

cheapskate :D :D
Is this what the site has been reduced to - moderators insulting relative newbies? :rolleyes:

ChrisR said:
I've always used a centre punch. Did you do it from the glazed side?

It is a cheap (100 quid) chinese copy of a designer italian job, the other hole worked great with a centrepunch, (glazed side, yes).
I whacked the second after damaging the first, thinking - 'well i've buggered it now, lets just have fun with a hammer'.

so I hit the second a LOT harder and all ok, maybe that was the deal.

b/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back