Cracked toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a bathroom up for a guy I used to work with, cutting out all the old pipework that fed the old appliances, was leaving the toilet in place because we made a temporary bathroom in the next new room (with a bath & shower)that was going to be made into a bedroom.

So I'm slogged over the toilet getting into the corner with my pipe slice cutting the pipes quite roughly because it was hard to access, and all I hear is a crack. I then look at the cistern and hear more cracks as they ran from bottom to the top, small leaks started leaking from the cracks!

Fearing that the cistern would just explode I had to wrap my arms around it and flush it.

So a temporary backplate and outside tap was fitted to the wall by the toilet with a bucket underneath, for the more "old style" of flushing!

Sponsored Links
reminds me of a similar episode. Wife and I returned from visiting some friends who have moved to Spain (lucky B......ds) and I notice water in the pantry. Track it down to the cistern in the bathroom above. Cistern is leaking on the inlet. Small leak, so I reach out and tighten the plastic nut with my hand........crrrrk. Cistern cracks straight up the back.

Ho hum, straight to local DIY place (it's a Sunday) and buy new toilet. To cap it all this toilet had a faulty flush valve and would not stop running...replacement was no better, had to buy a proper one in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back