Cracked window sil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am going to have my bedroom window replaced however the concrete sil underneath ithas a crack exactly in the middle of it (this is due to a cracked lintel under neath it.

What should i use to fill in this crack as it lets the water into the brickwork below.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
Whatever you put in there I reckon that if you don't sort out the lintel you're asking for trouble as the weight being carried by that lintel is being transferred (in part) into the window or door frame beneath.

Scrit

Hi, i have replaced the orignal wooden lintel with an 8x4 rsj so the problem is solved. do you know what i should put in there?

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'd rake-out the joints, pack them with mortar then repoint. It might be worth checking the plasterwork on the inside. If that is badly cracked you'd be best chiselling back the plaster there and repeating the exercise you did on the outside - you'll have to repair the plasterwork around the new window, so yoiu might as well do the job right. Don't do the job until you are sure you'll get no overnight frost as that would banjax the mortar.

Scrit

hi, thanks for the help, i have re pointed the all underneath.

The cil is painted an awful yellow colour

What kind of mortar would you use ise there a special type? and what mix would you use?

Thanks

Bear in mind I'm a chippy, not a brickie, here! I did a lot of this on my last house and the recommended mix was a 1 / 2 / 9 (by volume) mix of Portland Cement / Hydrated Lime / Sharp Sand. Mortar colour can be matched by varying the sand colour (e.g. for a white mortar use white river sand) and/or adding a colourant admix.
Scrit

you might even think about getting a new precast concrete sill, bit more of a job fitting it, but might save you patching up every year forever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back