cracked window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Although this is my first post, this forum has already helped me with a lot of my DIY projects and general questions. I hope you can help with this one too.

We live in a small late-Victorian terrace. One of the upstairs window sills is cracked, causing damp inside. I have found a number of topics about cracked window sills, but the answer always seems to depend on the type and size of the crack, so I have attached a few photos.

Can anyone tell me
- whether the window sill can be repaired or needs to be replaced,
- what trade would do this kind of work and how much we can reasonably be expected to pay?

Thank you very much for your help!

View media item 48540 View media item 48541 View media item 48542

Sponsored Links
I have no idea about these cills but thought i'd answer as no responses and your thread was getting lower down the page.

As it's easily accesible, can you not scrape all the loose stuff off and trowel some mixed cement into the cracks and then paint it with a coloured masonry paint? Just a thought...

I haven't had much success using cement which doesn't seem to bond to the stone properly so I'm going to try a product called Toupret Murex. It's cheap enough to be worth a go.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

I've found a guy who can cut a channel into the sill along the cracks to clean them out thoroughly, put in some mesh and fill with cement. I hope it'll work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back