Cracking after RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Recently had an RSJ installed. Specified by an SE. Noticed some cracking in external brickwork and movement internally (4mm). Is this normal?

Attachments

• 29FDFAC9-7EE3-44C7-85C8-9BB752B7BFF0.jpeg
    29FDFAC9-7EE3-44C7-85C8-9BB752B7BFF0.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 18E6F2BB-9A89-4B59-B12F-79FA392D2969.jpeg
    18E6F2BB-9A89-4B59-B12F-79FA392D2969.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 350
  • 65D27645-FE4C-4609-9082-3614E1073A20.jpeg
    65D27645-FE4C-4609-9082-3614E1073A20.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 532
Sponsored Links
Oh dear!
Where's the rsj in relation to the window?
I suppose at the bottom of it, in the ceiling below to create an open space, correct?

You are correct. The two windows on the pics are at either end of the RSJ. The RSJ is 6.2m long so fairly substantial.
I was expecting some movement but is this ok.
Building Control are out tomorrow, do I ask them?

Difficult to say.
It might be a dodgy installation, rsj not to spec, etc.
See what building control says, but I don't think they'll be impressed.

Sponsored Links
Assuming no unusually high loading (is it a three-storey house?) that is a good section size for that span.
All beams bend under load, and some cracking might have been caused by the deflection. But it can also be due to careless removal of the props and/or insufficient packing.

It's usually a one-time event with steel beams and is unlikely to get any worse.
Just re-point the external brickwork (might not get a perfect match :() and internally apply some filler and skim below the window.

Trying to hold either the SE or the builder liable would be an uphill struggle;I suspect the Inspector would want to keep out of it.

Assuming no unusually high loading (is it a three-storey house?) that is a good section size for that span.
All beams bend under load, and some cracking might have been caused by the deflection. But it can also be due to careless removal of the props and/or insufficient packing.

It's usually a one-time event with steel beams and is unlikely to get any worse.
Just re-point the external brickwork (might not get a perfect match :() and internally apply some filler and skim below the window.

Trying to hold either the SE or the builder liable would be an uphill struggle;I suspect the Inspector would want to keep out of it.

Thanks Tony for tanking the time to respond. Your general conclusion is what I was thinking through in my head last night.

Its a two story house, everyone who has visited has said the beam looks huge! Would rather it be a good substantial size though.

As you say hopefully its a one time event. We did not decorate upstairs for this purpose entirely so it will be all be filled later this year.

Thank you.

Looks like the pointing has already been attempted in the second photo.

Is there something wrong with your camera or are the window sills also bent?

Is there something wrong with your camera or are the window sills also bent?
That's common when the numpties jack the props up too far, pushing the wall up and bending the cills. Then all the wall stays up and drops later, or as maybe in this case, one section of the wall drops and the other stays up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back