Cracking along plaster join when painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our previous owners mounted an old iPod dock on the wall in the kitchen that we never used, recently I filled the hole with a small section (approx 20x10cm) of plasterboard and used screwfix instant plaster to squeeze in and fill the gaps, then the same to smooth over the top with a plastering trowel.

When I've gone to paint it, I am getting cracks around where the join was (see pictures).

What did I do wrong? Should I have left it to dry for longer?
How should I remedy the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Pics attached below

Attachments

• 20180505_102524.jpg
    20180505_102524.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20180505_102535.jpg
    20180505_102535.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180505_102552.jpg
    20180505_102552.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20180505_102609.jpg
    20180505_102609.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 109
Im sure others still be along with a more qualified answer but did you tape the joints? Could be movement in the plasterboard, especially with the warm weather of late.

No I didn't tape for such a small repair.

It also cracked slightly around the screw holes and old plaster board plugs are which you wouldn't bother taping anyway.

Have had no issues from other previous minor repairs so didn't think to do any different with this one.

Sponsored Links
Did you screw/fit small batons behind the new bit of plasterboard?

Sorry, I can't tell from the quality of your photos.

There is no fixed batons behind that small sections no, I did temporarily use thin slats of wood on the inner edge (screwed to the current plasterboard) to align the new front piece but these then drop down when I remove the screws.

This can happen when doing a repair like this and when using ready mixed plaster, I would use some mesh tape over the cracks on the 4 sides and then 2 thin layers of the ready mixed plaster over the top. Smooth it to about 2-3 inches beyond the repair in all directions. Don't worry about getting it perfectly smooth all over and use a fine sand paper to create the final finish. You will not be able to spot it once painted, use a roller if the rest of the wall is rollered or you will be able to see where painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back