Cracking around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed there is cracking around one window on the landing, I recently chiselled a groove along the cracked plaster and noticed that the bricks beneath have cracked. I have filled the crack with plaster and it was fine for several months and now there is a thin crack appearing again. this is an external wall and there are no cracks on the outside of the property just the inside, the crack runs diagonal from the window to the floor, should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
To some extent it may depend on where you live, if it's subsidence.
But fine to small cracks are usual and part of a properties movement.
Monitor it's progress and if it gets noticeably worse then you may need a professional opinion.

I have lived in this house for over 20 years now and there has always been a very minor crack there. If it was subsidance wouldnt the crack run from the bottom of the house, this one is only upstairs and only on the internal wall.

Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

how old is the window?

I see it has cavity walls and a steel lintel.

Most likely the small cracks are just due to expansion/contraction with the weather, and maybe a little bit of settlement. Unless the cracks keep getting bigger, it is not a worry. If the plaster falls out, I would scrape out the mortar joint, wet it, and pack with sand and cement mortar. If it is just a little crack in the plaster, scrape it out, clean away the dust, and refill with a flexible filler that you can decorate over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back