Cracking brickwork above RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a house and I've noticed some cracked brickwork directly above an RSJ where the kitchen was extended about 3 years ago. I'm still waiting on the survey (level 3), but I'm concerned that the surveyor will bottle it and not give a firm opinion. I'm attaching a photo of the crack as seen through the extension skylight and also a plan (not the most relevant plan, but all I have to hand as the local planning website is down for the weekend) with the location of the cracks circled in blue.

Anyone got an informed view on how concerned I should be?

Attachments

• Crack3.JPG
    Crack3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Crack2.jpg
    Crack2.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Crack1.jpg
    Crack1.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
It’s possible the crack maybe the result of poor RSJ installation - ie acrows over tightened or steel not packed up properly allowing subsequent settling…..and now it’s all stable and just needs local repair.

or not….

Im sure survey will pick it up

The surveyor will recommend a structural engineer looks at it.

I think Notch is right though - badly packed above the beam, slight movement at the bearings, or slight deflection of the beam following installation.

Your surveyor won't be able to comment on things outside of his expertise. So if he is not qualified in structures, he will just recommend a further report by a structural engineer.

You should be concerned until told not to be by a suitable person.

Sponsored Links
Following up for anyone interested. The surveyor said it wasn't a sign of a great job done, but it also was not a structural concern in his opinion. Expanding on that he said about 90% of the extensions to Victorian properties that he's seen have presented similar settling cracks. His advice was to repoint/fill and then keep an eye on it.

Cracking above the level of the beam is not usually serious; cracking below the level of the beam is when you need to be concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back