Cracking over and below windows

Lim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hoping to find some advice.

I am moving house and am interested in offering on a property - however I noticed at the rear there are cracks by windows on the outside brickwork.

this seems to be the case with all houses of a similar style in neighbouring streets (whether on a slope or on the flat).

Should I be worried?

Ive tried to attach the best pictures i can find to show the nature of it - the red circle is on the adjoining property - the yellow circle is the back of the house I am looking at. The unmarked are from streetview of other houses in the development.

I saw no evidence of cracks on the inside walls but there were straight line cracks in the ceilings (running from wall to light fittings)

the house is around the 60/70s period and already needs a decent amount of work (wiring, kitchen, bathroom etc) so if these cracks are likely significant id rather walk away.

any words of wisdom before going down the paid surveyor route would be appreciated!

Lim

Sponsored Links
Get a surveyor who is prepared to comment on structural matters, or a structural engineer if you don't want the rest of the house surveyed.

That's non-traditional construction and the cause could be one or more of several possibilities.

Thanks Woody,

Its made me more worried that it seems common across the estate that these style ones all have this type of cracking in the mortar.
The house I'm looking at has white PVC cladding on the front so could be covering cracks I cant otherwise see.

Sponsored Links
45 degree cracks above the openings normally point towards lintel issues. If windows have been updated to pvc from a timber window, there’s a good chance a new lintel has or hasn’t been installed.
The strange thing from those photos is that the first floor brickwork steps forward from the ground floor. Are these brick slips stuck on blockwork or are the bricks pushed forward which could be increasing the load on the lintel is there is one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back