Subsidence or not? Repaired cracks in front bay window masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm FTB so a bit nervous when I saw this in my building survey (though it was flagged as an orange but not red issue):
"There is evidence of repaired cracks to the front bay window's masonry, below the ground floor window opening. This type of movement is common and is likely caused by differential movement of the foundations. We believe that the bay window's foundations are lighter/shallower than that of the main part of the house and when the two structures move independently of one another, it produces cracking. If the cracking opens up again significantly, you should obtain a specification from a Structural Engineer to detail the best method of achieving further restraint to the wall.
ETgn3IR

Any comments/thoughts are much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
As you said, it’s common on bay windows. Don’t think there’s much to add other than keep an eye on it as the years go by

Is it full height bay or just ground floor? Either way not much to fret about & definitely not a showstopper.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, thank you very much for replying. The reason I'm asking is that: 1) I'm no expert on this, but heard that if the problem is with the bay window foundation movement, the cracks should appear at the joint between the bay window and the main body of the house? which is not the case here; 2) The cracks appeared on the elevated foundation of the ground floor bay window (pls see the picture of the house below); 3) I saw a post elsewhere (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6182793/possible-subsidence-to-buy-or-not-to-buy) of a seemingly similar bay window problem 14 years ago now turning into more serious subsidence.

I don't really want to risk that, say if the cracks re-open after a few months/years. Anyway, have asked my surveyor whether he thinks this is subsidence, and probably will need to hire a structural engineer to check it out if we really want to proceed with the purchase....Also, the vendors haven't declared anything on the underpinning/subsidence questions in conveyancing yet.

Please keep your comments/thoughts coming. They've been really helpful!

If that cracking is not continuous in the brickwork above the render, then its likely just a render issue.

Ether way, that pattern in that place is unusual for foundation movement, so even if the wall is cracked it's for a different reason and not a major concern that should put you off buying the place.

But as a buyer, you could use it as a bargaining point for a reduction in the asking price to reflect the cost of repair.

If that cracking is not continuous in the brickwork above the render, then its likely just a render issue.

Ether way, that pattern in that place is unusual for foundation movement, so even if the wall is cracked it's for a different reason and not a major concern that should put you off buying the place.

But as a buyer, you could use it as a bargaining point for a reduction in the asking price to reflect the cost of repair.

Thank you very much :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back