Crackling emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. A couple of years ago I repainted the hall and am not sure what went wrong (incompatible paint types?) but the top coat has a crackled effect in places. I now want to paint again so do I need to remove the dodgy bits or is there a wonder product I can use over them which will provide a stable base for the new emulsion? If I need to remove the flaky stuff what's the best way of doing it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did you emulsion over some kind of oil-based paint eg. Gloss or eggshell?
If so , best to rub down any flaky areas and re-coat using oil-based eggshell(or dead flat oil if preferrred)
If you cant face using eggshell try a test-patch using decent trade quality matt emulsion if that wont wont adhere use an oil-based undercoat followed by the emulsion

Thank you. The original colour was quite dark and a silk emulsion - we painted over it with Wilkinsons own white matt emulsion ( :oops: ) then used a colour over it so that could be the problem. I now stick to Dulux or Crown. I'll follow your advice as I'm determined to get it right this time. Just one more thing - do I do the walls 1st and then the woodwork or doesn't it matter? Ta

Own-brand paints - yuk ;) Steer clear ..
Best to do paint ceiling, walls & woodwork in that order its easier to cut-in the woodwork to the wall than the other way round though not essential

Sponsored Links
Nuthin wrong with Wilko's paint. It's as a good as any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back