very nice (but unwanted crackle effect)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The room I've just painted was originally half yellow, half red, with Dado rail round middle - I think original paint was eggshell or silk emulsion.
Have removed dado and filled then covered wall in 2 coats plain white matt emulsion, followed by 2 coats of desired colour. Have been left with very nice (but very unwanted) crackle effect where directly over paint but plain matt where over filled area.

Don't want to have to strip and think it will just do same crackle with another coat.

I can live with room just done but very nervous about painting rest of house which looks to have been painted with same base paint

HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Is the paint your are painting over oil based? This causes the top surface to crack as water based emulsion cures (dries fully) in weeks whilst oil based paint takes years to cure.

Three suggestions; either strip all the oil based paint off (rather you than me!), line the walls with lining paper or grow to love the crackle effect. Some people do this crackle finish as a special paint effect and charge a fortune!

kozzymodo said:
Is the paint your are painting over oil based? This causes the top surface to crack as water based emulsion cures (dries fully) in weeks whilst oil based paint takes years to cure.

Three suggestions; either strip all the oil based paint off (rather you than me!), line the walls with lining paper or grow to love the crackle effect. Some people do this crackle finish as a special paint effect and charge a fortune!

Or use an oil based undercoat, then emulsion over top of that.

P.S. Ventilate well! Undercoat over a large area... Very stinky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back