Paint reactions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
Looking to repaint our hallway. It's quite large, full height of the 2 storey house. I did it a few years ago and had to use a scaffolding tower. Being a big job, I don't want to end up with the problems I had last time.
The walls were painted in an orange Leyland silk paint. I over-painted with Dulux matt emulsion in a magnolia-ish colour, 2 coats and it covered fine. A few days later there was a flat crackle type effect reaction where the orange was showing through in the "cracks". I was advised to seal with PVA (subsequent reading makes me think this was poor advice) and repaint. Which I did....
Same reaction, not quite so bad. That's how it stands now... That was about 4 years ago so the paint is stable and fully cured.
I want to repaint again, but don't want to run into the same reaction problems. I have tried coating a small area with Zinsser stain cover paint, and it seems to cover the crackle OK, there's a couple of areas where it looks like the crackle is coming through again - but maybe it just needs another coat? I'm not too fussed about removing the crackle texture, mainly just to stop the underlying colour showing through.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance for replies!

Sponsored Links
I would guess that a second coat of cover stain ought to be good enough, but if not then Zinsser BIN will do it, but it is smelly stuff to use..
Are you using the water based cover stain or the oil based as the latter is thought to be among the best although it too smells a fair bit, so if you are doing a large area it might be worth wearing a face mask...

If you want a cheap option then oil undercoat will do.

Thanks, it must be the oil based - because it does rather smell! (I'm not at home so can't look at the moment). So oil undercoat (recommendations?)will do the job cheaper maybe - and be OK with matt emulsion over the top when suitably dry?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Any oil based undercoat will do the job and yes, matt emulsion over the top is fine.
As joe-90 say, it is the cheaper way to do it - I was assuming you already had the cover stain.

Leave it a couple of days for best results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back