Crackling garden socket with power tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

Our house has a greenhouse with socket fitted at least 10, my guess 30 years ago from loking at the metal rust on the socket (its inside a greenhouse). This being connected to mains consumer box which has RCD.

All has been fine until quite recently example being using a SDS/power drill the drill stops/cuts out and I hear crackling on the socket. Doesn't sound good. I did test consumer box RCD as , worked as meant to.

To look into it I:
1: Plugged in my socket tester, and it said no issues (continuous buzzer), noting it says doesnt test for reverse earth/netuiral if that is a possible issue..
2: When I plug non power tools in, such as laptop, projector, amp ect at same time NO (none) issues, no crackling.
3: I did cut the power to the consumer box, ring main mapped to this socket, and after checking power definately off removed the socket cover, and all the three cables are securely in place, no signs of anything unsual I can see, I bet I am first to open it in 10+ years.
4: The power drill in question, if I plug into any other socket in the house no issues, even on the same or non same ringmain.

At this point beats me... I was going to go to DIY store as may as well change the old socket to a IP66 rated RCD garden friendly socket anyway. Maybe its the junction box leading to the socket...ideas...?? a weird power tool thing??

Sponsored Links
Loose connection, poor contact between plug pins and socket receptables
corroded copper wire and/or screws in terminals of the socket.
Might even be a loose connection in the plug,

Thanks, just got the new ip66 rcd double socket, will fit today or tomorrow and see if fixes things/affect.

Sponsored Links
good news, fixed after changing the socket, maybe it was corrosion... anyway fixed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back