External Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just brought a lay-z spa & an external RCD 2 Gang (IP66) socket to power the spa. Anyway, i was thinking of spuring off a socket in the kitchen to feed the external socket, but didnt really want the external socket live all the time. So could I sumply get an extension lead, cut of the socket end, wire in the external socket and then when required plug in the extension lead plug into the socket in the kitchen? if so, would this effect the external sockets RCD function? one last question, I didnt realise that the pump/heater for the spa has an RCD plug attached and therefore would it cause problems if i had an RCD plug, plugged into an RCD protected socket?

Sponsored Links
Use a switched fused spur, two RCDs aren't a problem as long as both are tested at least quarterly for mechanical operation.

What is the rating of the Spar and what type of circuit have you got in your kitchen - what size conductors, ring or radial.

thinking about it, the RCD protected plug may not fit in the external ip66 socket casing so may have to remove the RCD plug.

Anyway, the rating of the spa as per the user manual is 220-240AC 2650W (is this what you mean?) as for what size conductors, plus ring or radial i will need to check, but will this make a difference?

The external RCD unit arrived and I wired it in, although it did confuse me a little as normally when i have wired in sockets (shed project) i had to put an earth from the socket to the socket housing, but the RCD didnt have a 2nd earth connection point, but only the standard L/N/E ones.

Is this normal & i hope i made sense.

Sponsored Links
dark_stranger said:
The external RCD unit arrived and I wired it in, although it did confuse me a little as normally when i have wired in sockets (shed project) i had to put an earth from the socket to the socket housing, but the RCD didnt have a 2nd earth connection point, but only the standard L/N/E ones.

Is this normal & i hope i made sense.

There is no earth connection to housing on account of it being plastic, so as long as the L/N/E connections to the socket itself have been made correctly then everything should be fine.

How did you decide to go about wiring it in?

cheers for the reply. I am still undecided on how to wire up the socket, but as the RCD unit does not have switches I would like to have an internal socket that can be switched on/off at will to isolate the external socket. I did take a look at some fused spur units, but got confused as they had Live, Natural & Earth, but also Load. And therefore how would i wire up the fused spur as I take it I would connect wire from the live socket to the fused spur's L,N & E, but then i get confused.... what is this load?

dark_stranger said:
I did take a look at some fused spur units, but got confused as they had Live, Natural & Earth, but also Load. And therefore how would i wire up the fused spur as I take it I would connect wire from the live socket to the fused spur's L,N & E, but then i get confused.... what is this load?

The load is just that, a load, in this case your outdoor socket.

The L/N terminals labelled 'load' would be connected to L/N of the external socket, L/N terminals marked supply would be connected as a spur from your 'live socket' or directly onto the ring. All earth cables should be connected together in the earth terminals as normal.

arr so there should be 2 load (L/N) terminals? I only saw one & that is what confused me.

dark_stranger said:
arr so there should be 2 load (L/N) terminals? I only saw one & that is what confused me.

Indeed, making a total of four 'power' terminals plus two (although possibly one) earth terminal(s).

I think there should be a stamp that is applied to posts to give the OP the wisest advice possible!

This is so notifiable! unless you go the "really long (RCD) extension lead" as discussed elsewhere, and asking what the "LOAD" is kind of gives us a clue about abilities.

CallEdsFirst said:
This is so notifiable! unless you go the "really long (RCD) extension lead" as discussed elsewhere, and asking what the "LOAD" is kind of gives us a clue about abilities.

Indeed, although we have to remember that this is a DIY forum. The OP has now been informed that the work is notifiable, and the final decision is in their hands.

If I had to put money on it then I'd say many DIY'ers on this board knowingly carry out notifiable electrical work without informing the LABC. While I don't condone such actions, if they're going to do it one way or another then I'd sooner provide advice on how to carry out the work than leaving them to go it alone and possibly make a mistake that results in someone losing their life.

Of course, not notifying in the first place is the real mistake, but that's a whole new can of worms that seems to have been discussed to death many times over on this board.

asking what the "LOAD" is kind of gives us a clue about abilities.

would you prefer that people didnt ask? and as stated earlier I asked the question because I was unsure as if I had observed 2 load connection points I would have known what it was for, but I took a quick glance at the back of the unit, whilst have a 4yr old in tow and only spotted 1 load connection. I askked becasue I was unsure, know I know & thats called learning.

With regards to notifiying, as already pointed out, the onus is on the individual to perform this & can not be goverened unless the individual wish it to be so.

cheers electronicsuk for you impartial help.

As discussed elsewhere on this board, its a tough call, and more of a political one really. Technically, advising an incompetent (only in the eyes of the law/regs, not a personal slur!) makes you party to the wrongdoing and something of an accomplice!

Being sensible grown-ups, most people here take a view as to whether we should offer technical advice "This is how you do it" or practical safe advice "No offence, I don't think your up to it, you should get someone in!"

Sometimes that judgement call will differ from person to person. If people in here were really about the knowledge then they would be in here asking about books, courses and qualifications. Instead its "how do I do this one task, don't need to know why it works, just wanna get it done cheap"

Just my 2 pence worth. No personal offence intended, in fact i'm soapboxing far more than talking to you directly!

CallEdsFirst - no worries mate, it was early and maybe I should have had a cuppa before posting.

Stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back