Bestways Lazy spa wiring up help please with you amazing intelligence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

So i have a lazy spa vagas that i recently moved to the bottom of the garden and there is no power outlet. so i have used by camping 4 way plug as an extension cable .

as the family play in this i am stressing out they might get electrocuted as the manual says dont use extension cable. ?

• What Electricity Supply Do I Need To Run My Lay-Z-Spa?
    Our hot tubs run on a UK standard 13amp/240V electrical supply. You should always use a grounded socket with RCD protection. All of our pumps come with a built in RCD unit as a safety measure. The socket that the hot tub is being plugged in to should be grounded and at least 4 metres away, at a height of at least 1.2m from the ground. We recommend getting a qualified electrician to install a grounded outdoor waterproof socket with RCD protection (this should always be done by a qualified electrician).

• Can I Use An Extension Lead?
    No, extension cables cannot be used with Lay-Z-Spas. The Lay-Z-Spa pumps come with a 7 metre cable which is usually sufficient for customers to reach their nearest grounded socket with RCD protection. If the cable is not long enough, we recommend getting a qualified electrician to install a grounded outdoor socket with RCD protection. The socket that the hot tub is being plugged in to should be grounded and at least 4 metres away, at a height of at least 1.2m from the ground.

• What Is An RCD?
    All of our spas are fitted with an internal RCD (residual-current device) this is a cut-out device in the event that water comes into contact with the electrical supply to your inflatable hot tub.

• Is The Pump And RCD Waterproof?
    Yes, however the pump should not be left sat in deep puddles of water. The PRCD is water proof to IPX5 and therefore should not be submerged.

Now i have the lazy spa plugged into this which has a circuit breaker and rcb
https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment...nOzp9S3itCPuzKovsK4aApCKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

then that is plugged into this
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p47166

then plugged into the mains in the house

is this set up Okay or am i doing it wrong?

Sponsored Links
is this set up Okay or am i doing it wrong?

Can I Use An Extension Lead?
No, extension cables cannot be used with Lay-Z-Spas. The Lay-Z-Spa pumps come with a 7 metre cable which is usually sufficient for customers to reach their nearest grounded socket with RCD protection. If the cable is not long enough, we recommend getting a qualified electrician to install a grounded outdoor socket with RCD protection. The socket that the hot tub is being plugged in to should be grounded and at least 4 metres away, at a height of at least 1.2m from the ground.

You question is answered by the text you quoted from the instructions.

The extension lead you linked to would present an extreme risk of electrocution if (when ) it gets damp.

From what they say in the instructions, perhaps they are worried about volt drop. They may also be worried about the temporary nature of an extension and its vulnerability.

They also say in the instructions "All of our pumps come with a built in RCD unit as a safety measure" and "All of our spas are fitted with an internal RCD".

So why on earth are they asking for another one on the socket with possibly yet another one at the CU? Seems yet another case of a manufacturer or his tech writers not having a clue.

Sponsored Links
So why on earth are they asking for another one on the socket with possibly yet another one at the CU?

Think about it, Specifically think about the cable between socket and the spa.

The RCD inside the spa will NOT react if someone touches an exposed live conductor in the damaged cable.

Wont the rcd in the extension cable i use work or even the circuit board

RCDs detect faults after them, not before, so Bernard is right - any problems before the spa will not cause the RCD in it to trip.

Any faults inside the spa will trip its own RCD, or the one in the socket (if there is one) or the one in the CU.

Or any combination of two.

Or all three.

Winston is correct that you don't really need an RCD socket if you have an RCD circuit from the CU, but as is (sadly) often the case with his obsessions like that he conflates "not needed" with "should not have" or "Seems yet another case of a manufacturer or his tech writers not having a clue".

In-service failure rates of RCDs is not zero - it is in the single-digit percentages, i.e at best 1 in 100, possibly 1 in 20, so there are scenarios when having two in series to bring the end-to-end failure probability down to the n-in-a-thousand range might be viewed by some people as worthwhile "belt and braces". A hot tub in the garden could be such a scenario, so if you want two, then have two, and take no notice of anybody going on about it not being necessary, or showing that you don't have a clue.

BUT...

By far and away the biggest risk is using extension leads strung across the garden, so before worrying about where and how many RCDs to have, get that sorted.

Have a proper outdoor socket or FCU installed, safely supplied from the house, and connect the spa to that. Definitely get an electrician involved - if you've got something electrical on wet ground, with wet people getting in and out of it, you might need a local earth, not have the house earth exported.

RCDs detect faults after them, not before, so Bernard is right - any problems before the spa will not cause the RCD in it to trip.

Any faults inside the spa will trip its own RCD, or the one in the socket (if there is one) or the one in the CU.

Or any combination of two.

Or all three.

Winston is correct that you don't really need an RCD socket if you have an RCD circuit from the CU, but as is (sadly) often the case with his obsessions like that he conflates "not needed" with "should not have" or "Seems yet another case of a manufacturer or his tech writers not having a clue".

In-service failure rates of RCDs is not zero - it is in the single-digit percentages, i.e at best 1 in 100, possibly 1 in 20, so there are scenarios when having two in series to bring the end-to-end failure probability down to the n-in-a-thousand range might be viewed by some people as worthwhile "belt and braces". A hot tub in the garden could be such a scenario, so if you want two, then have two, and take no notice of anybody going on about it not being necessary, or showing that you don't have a clue.

BUT...

By far and away the biggest risk is using extension leads strung across the garden, so before worrying about where and how many RCDs to have, get that sorted.

Have a proper outdoor socket or FCU installed, safely supplied from the house, and connect the spa to that. Definitely get an electrician involved - if you've got something electrical on wet ground, with wet people getting in and out of it, you might need a local earth, not have the house earth exported.

I am in rented accommodation at the moment so i just wanted a solution to having it at the bottom of the garden

It all depends on how much you value your family's safety. The advice you are being given says not to do it.

There is an interesting, and associated, topic on A.N. other electricians forum that starts off like this:
Screenshot 2018-06-29 14.29.11.png
I hope it's OK to throw up the URL of a competing forum...
but its here
https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/non-electrician-need-safety-advice.160862/

I rather suspect that you need to get professional advice before stepping into that thing.

Hey there! Sounds like you're trying to set up your Lazy Spa in a safe manner, which is definitely the way to go. Since the manual specifically says not to use an extension cable, I'd stick to that advice just to be on the safe side. Better not to risk it, you know? It seems like getting a grounded outdoor socket with RCD protection installed is the best solution, as they recommended. This would ensure top-notch safety for you and your family. Just have a qualified electrician do the job, and you'll be golden.

No point joining the forum to post to a nearly 5 year old thread, not sure the post really adds anything useful either!

No point joining the forum to post to a nearly 5 year old thread, not sure the post really adds anything useful either!
Quite. Also, OP hasn't been online since a few days after his last post (almost 5 years ago) so we can only assume that he either took the advice given here and felt no need to return, or the more bleak alternative is that he ignored the advice and his LayZ spa got the better of him...

Shame. He only wanted a nice relaxing evening in his spa :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back