Cracks above door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension to my garage. The extension has a flat roof and there is a door from the side of the extension into my sun lounge. The door is a fire retardent door and is quite heavy. Unfortunately if all the interior doors and the garage door are left open this door can slam. The plaster work at the top of the door has developed cracks at the top corners of the door on both sides of the wall. There is very little weight above the door as it is only about a foot or so below the flat roof.

Is there any thing that I can do to repair the cracks and what would be the best way to do it. I do not know if there is a lintel above the door or whether the door frame is forming the lintel. The door opens and shuts perfectly well and is not binding. I am however worried that it might be structual damage.

Sponsored Links
I only have basic diy skills so this probably sounds like a silly question but if there is no lintel, there only seems to be a couple of brick courses above the door, how would I put a new lintel in and would there be a danger of all the brick work collapsing.

I think that a heavy fire door, frequently "slamming" shut wouldn't do the door frame fixings much good. It's probably that that's caused the cracks above the door. I would put a restrainer on the door, to stop further damage.

Sponsored Links
ok door lintals
Concrete-Lintel_large1.jpg

chase off the plaster and look for this or this
Steel-Cavity-Wall-Lintel_large1.jpg

the concrete one will look like a concrete beem
ans the steel one will look like a plate inbetween the top of the frame and the block or brick work
if theres no lintel then its easy to fit one but a bit messy
te most inportent thing you may need is +2 acrrows and +2 strongboys
if its double skin wall then +2 concrete lintels building sand+2 small bags +1 bag of cement +1 bag of uiltl finish plaster +1 tub of PVA
YOU CAN GET ALL THIS FROM WICKES NICE AND CHEEP BUT YOU MITE NOT NEED THE PROPS if you can post a pic of both sides ofthe door ill be able to help out more its a easy job even you can do it m8

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

try this thn m8 more then just a door lentel lol trust me i know what im talking about

DSC00391.jpg

its a pics of tha prop used to serport the side of the building put thow the flat roof used with a strong boy thats what this is m8
A062-00415_Acrow_props_with_strong_boys_holding_a_supporting_wall_before_a_rsj_is_fitted_to_allow_the_enlargeme1.jpg

1401.jpg

I think that a heavy fire door, frequently "slamming" shut wouldn't do the door frame fixings much good. It's probably that that's caused the cracks above the door. I would put a restrainer on the door, to stop further damage.

Good idea r/c

plstering wants him to put in 20k worth of steel :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry plstering you are going a bit mental with the pics though. :eek:

LOL you like m8 im just saying try puting up steels like that door lentels are easy

just repair the cracks and stop the door from slamming, you will find cracks above most doors that have been repeatedly slammed, i have them above one of my doors where the kids and the missus keeps slamming it, chase the cracks out and infill with bonding and cover with easyfill for a quick repair, and then find a way to stop the door slamming.

When you use acrow props it is always better to put them on planks and nail them aswell. Also put planks under the lintols or girders you are putting in and nail your acrows to them aswell and always plumb them up level. If they are not all nailed to the same plank they can fall over when an acrow is tightened up. Just a little safety notice ;) Seen some damage done with falling acrows :(

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. There are only about two courses of brickwork above the door, but are covered in plaster on one side and render (the same as on the outside of the building) on the other. The structural engineering solutions seem a bit over the top - I am not taking the walls down! But I will see if there is a lintel and possibly fill in the cracks as suggested. I think it is highly likely that the cracks were caused when the heavy door slammed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back