Wall cracking above doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Over the past year a disturbing crack has developed over a first floor bedroom door.

I know that houses move all the time, and that a few cracks are normal. However this has me worried.

The house was built in 1936, and I have always believed it to be a very well built house. The walls have never shown any significant cracking before.

As you can see in the pictures, the crack goes on one side of the door up in a staircase type line to the ceiling. It then goes across the ceiling at the join to the wall, then back down vertically to the top of the other side of the door.

I have had a spirit level on the top of the door frame, and it is sloping down slightly to the left hand side of the door.

I believe it is a brick wall, there are no cracks on the ground floor walls beneath this area. I've no idea how long that wallpaper has been up, but its been there at least 34 years, so its strange it would suddenly start showing a crack now.

Is it something to be worried about?

pYwOwOo.jpg

1Mev3oK.jpg

Sponsored Links
30’s built properties were often thrown up, brickwork straight on top of the door frames, stripped back my walls, looks they were built by kids on crack , hence the crack .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back