Roughcasting cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a 9 mth old new build house and a few months ago noticed cracking to the roughcasting around the external garage side door. The builders said it was their fault (I think they said the side garage door had been put on before the roughcasting had been done instead of other way around - I might be mixed up with that). The roughcaster came out and redid the whole side of the wall which worked for a couple of months however I've noticed cracks starting to appear again around door frame. Is there anything I can do to limit this like some kind of caulk? I'll attach some photos to show it.

Attachments

• 20180913_084759.jpg
    20180913_084759.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 320
  • 20180913_084741.jpg
    20180913_084741.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 20180913_084747.jpg
    20180913_084747.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 20180913_084753.jpg
    20180913_084753.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 292
Sponsored Links
Hi Emma, I don't think there's anything there that necessitates a re- render but obviously you don't want any water to seep behind the roughcast which could give problems later.
If it was mine I'd use some quality white frame sealant such as Dow Corning and push it well into the cracks with my finger.
Maybe the cracks are just due to slight shrinkage or maybe the door frame moving due to the odd slam or whatever.
John :)

I test for hollowness with knuckles but not roughcast so gently tap the roughcast with a plasic or wood handled screwdriver/ chisel to see if it sounds hollow.

Hi Emma, I don't think there's anything there that necessitates a re- render but obviously you don't want any water to seep behind the roughcast which could give problems later.
If it was mine I'd use some quality white frame sealant such as Dow Corning and push it well into the cracks with my finger.
Maybe the cracks are just due to slight shrinkage or maybe the door frame moving due to the odd slam or whatever.
Thanks John, I had some decorators caulk in the garage which says you can use for external use so I've just put that on just now. Nice to hear from you again and thanks again for your trusty advice
Emma

Sponsored Links
Most welcome!
Exterior decorators caulk doesn't always have the same movement capability, or modulus, that silicone has so its worth keeping an eye on it.
Regards

I did wonder about that. I'll keep a beady eye on it. I also have unibond bathroom sealant - would that do the same job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back