Roughcast question, any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advise on the following appreciated.

My house is a fairly standard 1970's 3 bed detached with attached single storey garage/utility room. The side of the house which does not have the garage has roughcast 'blown' presumably water into a previous poor repair and then frost. Builder reckons whole side of house has pretty much had it, which I agree with. He has offered strip back, scratch coat and refinish side of the house, but also to roughcast over the existing good roughcast on the rest of the house and garage (the front has also been patched at some point in past - so he would strip that back if necessary).

So, I'm keen for him to do the work, and he is keen to do it, the only thing thats holding me back is the time of year, i.e. we just had an unexpected flurry of snow, which signals that winter is not over yet, and still incidents of frost. The builder reckons that this isnt a problem ( he has indicated he can start work next week, and it would take a week). He says he uses some materials (and I forget the name), that can be used in cold weather.

The problem is I'm unsure basically if thats true, or if he's telling me what I want to hear so he can get the work at a quiet time of year - he has given me a cracking price, and Ive spoke to other people who have had their roughcast done by him (all very happy and would use him again), but all in the spring/summer months. The price presumably would rise as his work load increases in the spring/summer, because he wont be discounting to obtain work in quieter months.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Do such products exist? Is a bit of cold and the odd frosty morning really a concern?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks,

Gairloch

Btw, just incase im using the wrong terminology. The roughcast i'm refering to is the wall covering with tiny little( in my case white) stones embedded in it (the type you have to sweep up periodicaly), and its not been painted.

Sponsored Links
Wait. Wait until March or better April. Read up on recent and historic posts on this subject. Everything must be timed right, and applied right,
anything else and you will be doing it again in five years.

By the way, if you live in the Gairloch region never leave it. Magic country and people.

What you seem to be describing "tiny little white stones bedded in it" would indicate that you have a "dry dashed wall... ;) Have a look in my albums for "rough casting a garage"

as long as the temperature is above 5 during thenday and doesnt drop below freezing overnight then you will be fine. im still roughcasting/rendering in the winter, just not in the past 2-3weeks

Sponsored Links
With the changeable weather we have been having i wouldn't take the risk just yet

Yeah it can be done this time of year but the builder will need to make sure the temperature is 5 or above, in the past i have sheeted the whole side of a house up and circulated heat into it to keep the temperature at about 5c even when the temperature was more like zero outside,it did cost a little time and money but at least we will still able to work at earn money ! The only thing I would be concerned about is putting new render on top of old render as it will add more weight to your render and as its already blown on one wall I would not be suprized if the rest was not near the end of its life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back