Rendering garage door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced my garage door with a roller, I'm now left with exposed brickwork where the wooden doorframe was. I considered using upvc to cover the brick but its uneven (some of the bricks stick out around 20mm) and so I reckon it would need boxed out with wood before covering with pvc. In addition I would have to trim back the existing roughcast on the outside wall as it currently overhangs the brickwork by approx 20mm (this previously overlapped the wooden doorframe).

So I was wondering if I should try roughcast instead, was thinking I could use wooden battens on either side of the opening to get the edges right, not sure if this is a good idea or if there is a better a solution available?

Also the bottom of one side of the doorframe is exposed brick with no roughcast so roughcasting there might not work....
View media item 90976
View media item 90977
View media item 90978

Sponsored Links
You are probably right in rough casting it, I would put a scratch coat on the revels and the one that has bare brick at the bottom I would put a little batton horizontal where the brickwork comes up to the bottom of the r/cast, Try to "round the scratch coat where it meets the old r/cast this will help the new r/cast make a roundish corner, you should be able to blend it in with the old r/cast..The r/cast mix should be a 4 pebbles or stone, 2 sand, 1 cement and 1 lime and mix it to a "slurry". the base coat (The one you throw your mix on) should be 1cement 1 lime 6 sand .These are the mixes I always used.. Should make a good job of it ;) Also put a piece of ex-metal over any wood left in...Have a look in my "Roughcasting a garage album,,You will see I kept the revels flat but I think in your case I would just round them in,,..If you paint it after you could paint the brickwork aswell and it wouldn't stand out as much. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back