Cracks appearing in many rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help out here. Posted a while back re this but noticing more now. I have a 1969 build semi detached house which we bought at the start if this year. Full structural survey done with no major issues reported.

Since moving in I noticed cracks appearing firstly in the hall way on the artex finished wall. I marked these and it did get bigger (horizontal crack although not that thick was running close to the ceiling). I first noticed these in the warm summer and as it cooled the cracks seemed to disappear slightly but if you looked closely were still there.

Since this has happened I have been looking around the house and noticed cracks in most rooms, one bedroom has a vertical crack from the bottom right corner of the window to the skirting board (plastered wall). When I knock on this wall it sounds hollow.

I have since noticed some cracks appearing on the ceilings in other rooms and around the front door etc and obviously starting to worry a bit. There is also a small hairline crack developing from the corner of the room in one bedroom which seems to be curving out.

There are no visible cracks on the outside brickwork.

Any advice? I will be pretty annoyed if it's something major and the survey hasn't picked up on this.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It's probably shrinkage because you like the house warm. Just fill them and touch up the paint.

It's probably shrinkage because you like the house warm. Just fill them and touch up the paint.

Would that still be the case with a house as old as this one? Can shrinkage apply to a house of any age?

I just naturally start fearing the worst when seeing things like this.

Does not necessarily have to be related to shrinkage.

Thermal movement can affect a building in many ways and your symptoms sound typical.

Expansion and contraction is commonplace and has to be taken into consideration when constructing a building.

Sponsored Links
Does not necessarily have to be related to shrinkage.

Thermal movement can affect a building in many ways and your symptoms sound typical.

Expansion and contraction is commonplace and has to be taken into consideration when constructing a building.

So is this something for me to be worried about if it is that or is it just something I need to live with and repair the cracks as and when they appear?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back