Troubling cracks in ceiling & walls - Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed a number of hairline cracks that have appeared along the walls and ceiling of my house and am wondering how concerned I should be. The cracks are mainly appearing on the ceiling, particularly in corners of rooms along the edges where the coving meets the ceiling, and along the joins in the coving itself. There are also one or two long cracks running across the ceiling in different rooms (in the direction of the ceiling joists), but these generally emanate from one of the other cracks in the ceiling/coving joins. In two rooms there are cracks that run from the ceiling to the top of the door frame, and also some around window sills. The cracks are more apparent upstairs, but I have noticed a couple on the ground floor as well. The upstairs bathroom on the rear of the house seems to be worst affected, and was the first room I noticed these appearing. The coving in this room is coming away from the wall, as is the plasterboard boxing around the waste pipe.

I believe most of these have appeared since we bought the house, and whilst in our ownership we have invested heavily in the upgrade of the insulation and heating (replaced old single-glazed windows throughout, cavity wall & loft insulation installed, replaced conventional boiler with a combi). I also boarded out the loft, which wasn’t done before, and now use it for storage space – though there is nothing hugely heavy up there, mainly Christmas decorations and empty suitcases and boxes etc. In addition we fitted an over-bath electric shower in the bathroom where there was none before (no extractor as the room has an opening window). The house was vacant for over a year before we bought it, so was extremely cold inside for a good while.

Though the previous owner denied any knowledge of it, there is evidence that the house has been previously underpinned at the rear, and resulting repair jobs to the pointing and brickwork have remained sound. I’ve not noticed any exterior cracks.

It may be completely unrelated, but we’ve also noticed evidence of greasy liquid trails down a couple of the upstairs walls. No evidence of any kind of water leak is apparent (nor is there any pipework in both areas), and the affected walls don’t appear to have anything in common, apart from being upstairs and on different sides of the same room (one in bedroom 1 - external wall, one in bedroom 2 – internal wall shared with bedroom 1). I had previously believed the last owner had splashed something up the wall, until we discovered a new set of drip trails in the bedroom one day. It appears to come from beneath the coving join, but there were no signs of moisture on the ceiling and very little liquid present. We’ve only seen this one ‘fresh’ occurrence in the 2 years we’ve lived in the house.

From what I’ve read online it seems like the cracks could be a result of shrinkage caused by the change in heating behaviour, though I would welcome advice on any of the issues above.

Sponsored Links
"From what I’ve read online it seems like the cracks could be a result of shrinkage caused by the change in heating behaviour, though I would welcome advice on any of the issues above."

Given 'hairline cracks', I'd tend to agree with the above comment.

As for the greasy trails on the walls, you state no pipes in the area, and they come from 'beneath coving join'. Could it be cockroaches, they can leave oily/greasy trails on walls, does the trail have an odour?

remove the sections of coving (easily re-adhered) to investigate. Bearing in mind what the last post mentioned "cockroaches" or any infestation, be prepared have a spray bottle of Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner in hand (they die rapidly when sprayed) The intention here is to find out and rectify whatever's causing the problem, depending what you find you may have to take off all the coving...pinenot :)

They are more like drip lines than insect trails, like a very small quantity of something poured down the wall, but like I said, no pipes up there and no evidence of moisture on the ceiling, penetrating damp or condensation etc. The joint of the coving to the wall is still sound above where it looks like it originates, and I couldn’t detect any odour from it. Would I see any other signs if it were some kind of insect problem? Other than these isolated occurrences over a couple of years I’ve not noticed anything else linked to this issue. If its not likely to be linked to the cracks then I’m not terribly concerned about it.

Sponsored Links
Certainly not if it is cockroaches, you would have seen the wee beasties themselves by now...pinenot :)

re: the trails on the wall.....

We get those in the bedroom if we dont have the window open at night. I think its condensation on the ceiling at just one point (maybe lack of insulation in the loft at that point?). For some reason it causes slightly brown-looking drips on my newly-painted magnolia walls :mad: Maybe dye coming out of the paint....? Anyway maybe that's what you have too.

re: the trails on the wall.....

We get those in the bedroom if we dont have the window open at night. I think its condensation on the ceiling at just one point (maybe lack of insulation in the loft at that point?). For some reason it causes slightly brown-looking drips on my newly-painted magnolia walls :mad: Maybe dye coming out of the paint....? Anyway maybe that's what you have too.
I think this would be your answer, put a pic up will soon tell you if it is or not

Them runs down the wall certainly look like condensation, you will find that wall will be colder than the rest which is what causes it, try to keep the bathroom door shut with the window open a little when running the bath and shut the door to the room with the problem when doing so to reduce the amount of steam reaching them cold spots, if you have trickle vents on your windows then open them aswell. The cracks don't look like anything to worry about but I wouldn't put a guarantee on it without seeing it and surrounding areas in person. I would just advise to you to keep an eye on it. Maybe an idea to take a picture of the cracks every week to compare any difference, may well be a lot to do with the work that you have had done has disturbed areas in the house. I'm wondering if cavity wall insulation can cause enough pressure to crack the walls inside?

These cracks, in my opinion, are due to shrinkage purely and simply. They are in the places I would expect i.e. joints between coving cement and the coving itself, differing shrinkage between two materials...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back