Cracks around concrete lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are some cracks in the brickwork around 2 concrete lintels on the outside of my property.

IMG_20210404_134631251.jpg
IMG_20210404_134757262.jpg

What's the best way to deal with this (am assuming water will get in cracks and it will just get worse if nothing is done to seal them up).

Initially, I assumed that repointing was the way to go but I wonder if this might stop movement, and perhaps clear silicone might be preferable?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but can I chuck in a point of caution??

Could be that the crack is related to a Thermal issue, when in cold weather the [larger] mass, the bricks shrink back away from the concrete lintel which is a smaller mass and has a different coefficient of expansion.

if you do rake out and re-point, this repair will be visible for a very, very long time, the mortar you repair the cracks with will be a different colour to the original mortar pointing.

Can I suggest you do nothing at present until the weather heats up a fair bit and see if indeed it is thermal related.

To prevent rain water ingress, suggest you consider using a clear mastic, carefully, use the thinnest possible nozzle size and place the nozzle into the crack to apply the mastic, do not smear the mastic all over the brick or concrete lintel faces.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your thoughts.

How much movement would there be if it is thermal expansion, or to put it another way what's the best way to check for this?

If it were me, I would simply wait, allow the sunshine to take effect. and allow the bricks and concrete lintel to become warmer tne wall will heat up and the cracks should / may close up?

As stated, any re-pointing will show up forever, as an aside, any conveyancing surveyor [if you decide to sell the property] will latch on to the repair and knowing such surveyors will scream Subsidence that will really spook a prospective purchaser??

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Been at the house a while and the cracks don't close up as far as I can tell.

Should I get it investigated?

Should I get it investigated?

No unless there are other serious cracks in the immediate vicinity, that is a waste of money.

As posted above, use clear silicon but carefully??

IMO a minor defect, do not draw attention to it, as an aside who else has told you there is a crack there??

Ken.

No unless there are other serious cracks in the immediate vicinity, that is a waste of money.

As posted above, use clear silicon but carefully??

IMO a minor defect, do not draw attention to it, as an aside who else has told you there is a crack there??

Ken.

Thanks, Ken will apply the silicone as suggested.

There are no other cracks I noticed similar on other houses on the road.

Not sure what you mean by "who else has told you there is a crack there" no one just noticed after we purchased property.

what you mean by "who else has told you there is a crack there"

My intention was to see if anyone else but you had noticed this crack ? A possible indication that this crack is [generally] not visible to Joe public??

Ken.

Sorry to pull up an old topic. I have a very similar thing happening. Did the cracks every get worse, what happened? Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back