Cracks in/around lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a crack on the plaster next to a large window. I removed the plaster to find out the cause and it looks like there has been a very small movement over the years to create a crack in a couple of bricks (please see Pic 2). Should I put some mortar around the lintel, some mesh and then re-plaster?

Another question on the outside of the concrete boot lintel. A small piece of concrete has come off showing part of a rusted metal rod (please see Pic 3 & 4. Could I put a touch of Hammerite around the metal and once dry cover it with a mix of 3:1 sand/cement? How can I prevent the mortar from falling off?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I had a crack on the plaster next to a large window. I removed the plaster to find out the cause and it looks like there has been a very small movement over the years to create a crack in a couple of bricks (please see Pic 2). Should I put some mortar around the lintel, some mesh and then re-plaster?
Yes, mesh will help to prevent a crack reforming on the line of the existing crack.

Another question on the outside of the concrete boot lintel. A small piece of concrete has come off showing part of a rusted metal rod (please see Pic 3 & 4. Could I put a touch of Hammerite around the metal and once dry cover it with a mix of 3:1 sand/cement? How can I prevent the mortar from falling off?
You can get specific concrete repair mortars such as those by Sikadur. Would be much better than sand and cement as it is designed for the job and suitable for vertical and overhead working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back