cracks around lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i've Read quite a few helpful posts on here before, so thought i would sign up and see if anyone can give me some advice with this:

We are in the process of doing up a 1960's bungalow we bought last year. I've just got stuck into redoing the living room which has a big window/sliding door in it, the whole frame is just over 4.5m wide. having pulled off the very dated pelmet box, iv'e found some large cracks on one side . the crack in the plaster is about 5mm, but if i slide something into the gap, and move it around i would guess the gap between the end of the lintel and the next breeze block is about 20-30mm from feel. If I look into the crack I can clearly see into the fascia on the outside. (see pic – gap is big enough even the camera on my phone can focus on it!)

Do I need to worry about this and get a professional in, or should I just take the plaster off, put some mesh over it and re-plaster safe in the knowledge it's probably been like it for 60 years.

I would guess the current aluminium glazing has been there since the late 80's, so it may become more of a problem when we can afford to replace it?

Hopefully the attached pics make it a bit more clear?

Sponsored Links
It looks like the right hand internal wall has also moved to the left (crack around the ceiling). What can you see on the outside? I would think its just settlement, though it could still be moving due to tree roots etc.
Frank

thanks for the speedy reply.

On the outside there is a hairline crack following the mortar. That crack in the right hand wall runs about 1m along the wall like that, until it narrows to nothing. Just chiselled some more plaster off, the crack is about 2cm. Is it normal to have such a small over hang on such a big lintel?

It should be at least 6", yours looks marginal (short). The problem is that a big percentage of the weight of the roof will be taken via the RSJ on to that last bit of the wall, so the loading on the soil will be greater then on the rest of the house, so you get differential settlement.
Frank

Sponsored Links
It's about 5.5 inches the the end of the lintel from the edge of the frame. Thanks for the advice, you have put my mind at ease a bit if it looks like it's just settlement.

You don't need 6" bearing. And it's not a settlement crack.

What seems to have occurred, and is common with concrete lintels, is natural movement (shrinkage normally) has caused that crack just below the bearing. Many times it's a weak point due to a mortar joint just there, less often a full block can crack.

I'd be more inclined to deal with the cracking of the bearing, and rebuild any defective block or cracked brickwork.

The movement had probably stopped now, but just guard against plaster cracking with mean or plasterboard.

Hello Mat, are you still active here please??
I have a very similar issue with a 60s bungalow & we are literally plastering over the cracks while I type
I would be very interested to hear your story since the remedial action

Hi James,

I actually asked someone I knew who was a building surveyor to take a quick look in the end in exchange for a bottle as I was worried about it.

He said the builders were just lazy, instead of cutting a breeze block they left the lintel one sided. It was obviously a few years ago now, but I think we filled the gap with foam, then took a little more plaster off, put some guaze or something over it and re-plastered. 5 years on we have new windows and just the tiniest hairline crack there now which I'm not worried about, probably just expansion

Thank you so much for your reply, my issue looks similar to yours don't you agree? It gives me some comfort you plastered over the cracks (which we are doing as I type) without any repercussions
This issue looks like its happening around all my windows so a building defect across the build & hopefully nothing mesh & plaster across the property wont fix

1.jpg
3.jpg

Thank you so much for your reply, my issue looks similar to yours don't you agree? It gives me some comfort you plastered over the cracks (which we are doing as I type) without any repercussions
This issue looks like its happening around all my windows so a building defect across the build & hopefully nothing mesh & plaster across the property wont fix

View attachment 282946View attachment 282948
Hi James
Are you still active? If so, what is the update with yours? I’m facing a very similar issue to you and Matt and very interested to hear what happened with yours too. Thanks.

Hi James
Are you still active? If so, what is the update with yours? I’m facing a very similar issue to you and Matt and very interested to hear what happened with yours too. Thanks.
Hello!!!
It was a very stressful period but we simply meshed & barred & resined the major cracks a few months ago & pray they don’t reappear!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back