Cracks around window (advice please)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've had some substantial work done on our current house in 2013. Part of the included a huge steel across the back of the property and lintels installed above the windows (they hadn't been fitted originally).

One of the bedroom windows - above where the huge steel was fitted - has some cracks around it. I have tried filling the cracks, sanding and painting but the cracks have re-appeared. To the bottom right of the window is a 'hairline' crack. Above the window, in the recess is a more substantial crack.

Can anyone suggest what is likely to be causing this and how to fix it.

thanks.

Hairline crack:
hairline.jpg

Larger crack:
larger1.jpg larger2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Anything visible on the outside of the walls?

Not an expert but that diagonal crack is a worry, it could indicate that the giant steel is moving downwards relative to the side wall. The other 2 pics I can't tell what the context is (as in where are the cracks relative to the window, steel, floor etc). Of course we have just had a very hot summer followed by rain so a bit of ground heave or shrinkage in the bricks/blocks wouldn't come as a complete surprise- keep an eye on them (try and find a measurable bit, mark and measure)- they may well go away come the winter.

Or they may not- are the building firm and SE who did the work still in business? Give them a ring.

As for crack filling (leave them til SE etc have had a look) you need something flexible for the diagonal one (not silicon, it won't paint properly). The other 2 I'd hide with a painted batten myself (screwed onto 1 side of the crack only so you can remove & inspect every so often)

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't too concerned about the diagonal crack.

The other 2 pics the crack is behind the blind (stripy material in the pics). I'll try to upload a window wide image...
IMG_20180910_073524513.jpg

Edited to add:
There are no cracks visible on the outside of the wall

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Typical causes of cracking after beam installs
  • Jacking the walls up too much and then they drop
  • Walls not packed with slate on the beam
  • Beam deflects too much under load
  • Shrinkage over several heating/cooling periods
Less common - beam undersized.

The head crack could relate to quality of the lintel install and some shrinkage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back