Cracks Down Wall Corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Victorian flat has developed thin cracks where walls meets walls. I think it's caused by vibrations from the flat upstairs' washing machine. Photos attached.

I've cut out a section at one spot with a stanley knife. It's hard to tell how deep the crack goes. I can see old paint, old lining paper and plaster but I haven't dared open up so much that I can see any brick. I'd like to make this a quick, easy fix that will hopefully last at least 5 years. What I don't want is a complete wall smashing dust fest.

My research shows that Toupret Fibacryl Flexible Crack is worth using (photo attached). But should I only use that or in conjuction with something else? Or not at all?

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,883
  • IMG_5691.JPG
    IMG_5691.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_5693.JPG
    IMG_5693.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_5694.JPG
    IMG_5694.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 400
  • 51702.jpg
    51702.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 387
Sponsored Links
Or fill with good quality white caulk (which doesn't turn grey) smooth , and paint when dry.

That's a good idea. Maybe I should push in the Toupret stuff first as far as I can and then finish off with the caulk. That might be a good solution.

i doubt that the cracks have anything to do with the washing machine.

the plaster coving has historical repairs showing, and its upper floor location showing the crack running up a sloped ceiling/roof soffit implies that the cracks might have more to do with minor structural movement rather than a w/m?
are any of the walls involved external walls?

you could certainly rake out the cracks and then use a filler or you could hack off enough plaster to expose the brickwork behind the cracks, and post pics of whats exposed on here?

Sponsored Links
given its a flat, these affected internal walls might actually be dividing partitions that have not been tied in properly to their abutting walls?
there are a number of other possibilities, and unknowns that involve lower floor flats and previous structural work to floors or walls.
or it might be due to something pretty simple - cracks often are.
the fly in the ointment is the previous historic repairs?

do you intend to fill or expose?

Fill. I've been here 14 years and don't intend to be here another 14 years. I'm also strapped for cash. I intend to just 'make good' for as long as I can get away with. The next owner can get embroiled with structural issues if there are any and argue these to their hearts content with all the other flat owners who make up the 'maintenance company'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back