Cracks In Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Victorian flat has developed cracks where walls meets walls. I think it's caused by vibrations from the flat upstairs' washing machine. Photos attached.

I've cut out a section at one spot with a stanley knife. It's hard to tell how deep the crack goes. I can see old paint, old lining paper and plaster but I haven't dared open up so much that I can see any brick. I'd like to make this a quick, easy fix that will hopefully last at least 5 years. What I don't want is a complete wall smashing dust fest.

My research shows that Toupret Fibacryl Flexible Crack is worth using. But should I only use that or in conjuction with something else?

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5691.JPG
    IMG_5691.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5693.JPG
    IMG_5693.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5694.JPG
    IMG_5694.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
novaf4, good evening.

From the images posted, it would appear that the room has been split at some time historically, it would be unusual to have a cornice "disappear" as your image shows, normally a cornice is all the way around a "room"

If you tap the two walls in the images does one sound "Solid" and the other sound "Hollow"???

Ken.

It does look as though the wall where the cornice disappears is not original.

I would be surprised if the washing machine upstairs is the root cause, but it is a possibility.

I often recommend Fibracryl but be aware that it shrinks back quite a lot. Let it shrink and then use a filler of your choice over the top. Sand flat and then "prime". You can then caulk over that.

If it were just a clean and persistent hairline crack I would have recommended a MS polymer such as CT1, they are as flexible as silicone but can be painted over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back