Cracks in asbestos roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old outbuilding with a corrugated asbestos roof that has a few cracks in it - the cracks are in one particular area where the wooden beam has acted as a fulcrum and due to a (now resolved) problem that I had last year with the roof, the asbestos came to rest in a slightly different position and cracked a bit (a bit like breaking a piece of wood by putting your knee in the middle).

Trouble is that I can't get on the roof and am wondering how best to seal the crack from underneath. I've tried silicone sealant in some areas which has helped a little but is that the best option? Is there a better sealant?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi you should be able to buy a section of plastic or steel corigated sheet with the same profile. Cut it into strips and fit it under the roof in the center of the crack and push it in or out until its in the gutter. And you will have no more leaks. Hope that helps www.trustedtradesmenltd.co.uk member.

That's a good idea, many thanks.

A wee problem though (which I should have mentioned) is that the roof is very large (about 15 feet from apex to edge) and fairly shallow on the affected side. The crack is also about 2 feet from the top.

Would that put the kybosh on your good idea?

you could try using bitumen flash band, just heat it up and roll it over the crack then use a wallpaper roller to press down the edges,

Sponsored Links
Trouble is that the cracks are only about an inch or two above a beam of wood so I wouldn't be able to use a roller to push it down. Have also just noticed that there are also two or three galvanised round headed nails in some places so that precludes using any kind of 'sheet' of any substance.

Perhaps it's back to the silicone then? :)

Yep, sounds good, thats always worked for me.
Just buy a tube (or two) of silicone and smear it over the cracks. In the long run, you may want to consider replacing your asbestos roofing.

There's a lot of roofing to replace, and being asbestos no doubt it would be costly just to remove it in the first place?

Yeah it can be costly, just stick with a wad of silicone for now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back