Cracks in internall wall help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi need help especially as i dont think structual engeneers working and i cant sleep.

These cracks where here in our house when we bought last july. Survey said cracks due to thermal movement. However i feel like they look worse. Especially at the actual horizontal crack. Its on both sides of wall. Top of door frame think it may be the tape?
There is no cracking on the other internal wall, this is a juction between three walls. No other cracking in hallway etc???

Sponsored Links
Worriedhomeowner1950, good evening.

OK first of not Structural !!!

Are the areas of concern on the ground or first floor?

The area above the door could be paint that has flaked off and been over painted? or the skim coat of plaster has come off and been over painted?? or even lining paper that has been torn off and over painted?

As for the "horizontal" cracks? have you tapped the wall? if so is it "hollow" if so it could be either Lath and Plaster [looking at the architraves] or plasterboard that has been subjected to some impact? if you look really closely there appears to be historic cracking that has been repaired in the vicinity of the present crack damage??

Suggest that you get a hold of a really bright light, place the light source against the wall and scan the light beam around, a really bright torch works well, I use a 1000. Lumen hand held LED torch, the light used like this shows up all defects, especially "old" painted over cracks that do not show when you shine a light on to the surface from some distance away, or from the light in the hall at ceiling level??

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back