cracks in my wall help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey i have just noticed a crack in my wall in the kitchen although i cannot say if it has just appeared or was always there. In the kitchen a stud wall was removed before i moved in and have noticed a hairline crack that runs the lenght of the celing where the wall would have been and runs down the wall approx halfway down. The cracks are small but i was wondering is this normal movement to cause the plaster to crack or should i be worried that the celing is unsupported (my bathroom is directly above)? I think this was done approx 5 years ago! is it expensive to replace a stud wall? plus all my doors stick and i know that is a sign of subsidence they are pine and have always stuck when trying to close them I have noticed no other cracks

Sponsored Links
got any pics and may not neccessarily be substenance but general movement.

If it's where the old stud wall was, likely to be nothing, just damage caused when the wall was moved.
This may have moved the ceiling boards a little causing joint to crack also same with wall plaster, it has been disturbed.
Could be a case of just filling in the cracks or joint taping and filling out.
If stud walls were installed at the original build or pre plastering stage, it is normal that the wall and ceiling under the stud would not be finished off right/neat.
So could also be a case of the previous occupant did the remedial work after removing wall, but did not do it correctly a now starting to open up again.
But pics will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back