Cracks in Pebbledash / Exterior Wall Damage

G

grcj8

Hi,

I am looking into buying a 1930s house which has several cracks in the pebbledash and looks like the bricks have been moved slightly in the top corner of one of the walls.

Should I be overly concerned? and does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to fix.

Under window:

above window:

Sponsored Links
Looks to be general building movement, check for signs of water ingress, you have two options:

1. Reinforce the brick stack by using rods and cement
2. Rebuild the brick stack.

Seems to be water pushing it out, check for signs of damp / rotting fascias too.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I don't remember seeing anything in the corner of the room on the inside where the crack was but I will need to have another look on a next viewing. I also noticed that this room the ceiling was uneven nd had slight cracks in it. (don't have any pictures i'm afraid). Could this be related to water getting in at the side?

If it's been like that for a while and water has been getting in, how would that effect the pebbledash on that wall and below. If we repair the brickwork is it likely that I will need to replace a large section of the pebbledash, due to it falling off etc.

Don't suppose you have a rough idea of how much it would cost to remove all the pebbledash / replace it with some smooth painted render or something similar?

1. The brick corner and the (PVC?) fascia are being slightly pushed out by, perhaps, hip rafter spread.
Check the other side hip corner, it too may have spread.
Check the interior for cracking.

2. This would also account for some of the dash render damage.

3. Repairs have been attempted in the past, but if i am correct with assumption 1. above, then they have dealt with the effect not the cause.

4. Any remedial work must take account of the lines.

5. Its foolish giving prices without a better understanding of whats happening.

Sponsored Links
Just a note that any render issues as such are best posted on the plastering and rendering forum where some expert renderers will advise.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I don't remember seeing anything in the corner of the room on the inside where the crack was but I will need to have another look on a next viewing. I also noticed that this room the ceiling was uneven nd had slight cracks in it. (don't have any pictures i'm afraid). Could this be related to water getting in at the side?

If it's been like that for a while and water has been getting in, how would that effect the pebbledash on that wall and below. If we repair the brickwork is it likely that I will need to replace a large section of the pebbledash, due to it falling off etc.

Don't suppose you have a rough idea of how much it would cost to remove all the pebbledash / replace it with some smooth painted render or something similar?

If you don't see anything in the corner of the room it could be covered up, as problems are covered up in houses with plasterboard and plaster. If the ceiling was uneven it could have affected the ceiling structure above, which may need repair, or it could be due to a sagging old ceiling under the new one.

The pebbledash will be blown off the wall, meaning it is not bonded due to the water, if it falls off you need to repair it, A full wall will set you back about a £1000, I would go with smooth render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back