Cracks in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a kitchen extension completed about 12 months ago now. Not long after works were finished cracks started to appear in the plaster. I understand this to be fairly normal as the plastering/works settle.

More and more cracks are now starting to appear. I have noticed a new fairly lengthly crack (alongside a similar existing one) appear only in the past week or so near to a sky light in the newly constructed pitched roof of the kitchen. One of the cracks almost runs the length of the metre and half skylight (see pictures attached - black is the skylight)

Is this a concern or natural given the change in temperatures over the course of a year?

Grateful for any insight.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Plasterboard on a wood frame I believe - see some pics attached. You can see relating skylight where cracks have started to appear in the pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Your wood framing is most probably responsible for the cracks it's where it's expanding and contracting with different temperatures or seasons, best battens to use if using wood is kiln dried and treated but even then theres no garentee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back