Cracks in plastering 6 years on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In 2005 I had a new kitchen in the extension on my house. A new ceiling was put in with plasterboard, then the room completely re-plastered.

A couple of years ago cracks started to appear around the very top of the wall at the one end that seem to be gradually getting worse. Smaller hairline cracks are also appearing in the join between the wall and ceiling all around the room. (see pictures)

The ceiling plaster is ok, except one area where the board has started to come through the ceiling plaster a bit (see picture).

I have read other posts on here about cracks appearing in newly plastered walls, but this is different because of the length of time since the original work was done. The flat roof above the kitchen is old, although I have tried to extend its life with roof paint. I don’t think it is leaking.

What do you advice is the best course of action – fill in the cracks then repaint, re-plaster or something else?

Many thanks

Richard
View media item 41286 View media item 41287 View media item 41288 View media item 41289 View media item 41290

Sponsored Links
It looks like a shortage of scrim. You could cove the ceiling lines for an easy fix. I'd chip a band of skim off the other crack wide enough for scrimming, pop a few extra screws in, scrim and easifill/sand. Then decorate. The crack on the wall looks like settling to me. You could probably just fill that if it's stopped moving.

Thanks for your reply keyplayer - but what is scrimming?

How could I tell if the crack on the wall has stopped moving now?

A bit of decorators caulk and fine filler should sort it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back