cracks in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, last year I went on a five day plastering course. Since then I have plastered my house, my mothers kitchen and a few walls for friends

2 of the rooms I have plastered have started to show cracks after a few months. Both were just reskims. I used pva glue on these. Why did it take a few months for it to show up? I also have the gold trowel plastering DVD's and this shows him adding something to the plaster to stop it cracking. But I can't find any such additive anywhere. Does anyone know what it is.

Also someone as just asked me to plaster his full house. 3 rooms downstairs, 3 rooms up, landing and the hall. Plus ceilings. What is the going rate for a full house?

Thanks for any help

Jordancorey

Sponsored Links
Ive never heard of anything you can add to finish to reduce cracking, there is no set price for a house so charge a dayrate or think of a dayrate in your head, how many days, add it up theres your price. ;)

Thanks jbonding,
Have you any idea why the cracks took so long to show and is there anything that will stop it happening in the future.

they are probably shrinkage cracks usually caused by a one or four things,not controling the suction on the background,applying too thin, heating too soon forcing it to dry too quick or a background that has cracks already. ;)

Sponsored Links
Are cracks in plaster more common on drywalling? The reason I ask is the walls in a friends' new house has plaster flaking off where the clout nails are.

I'm still contemplating what method of plastering to use for my extension i.e. drywalling or traditional plastering.

jbonding said:
Ive never heard of anything you can add to finish to reduce cracking, there is no set price for a house so charge a dayrate or think of a dayrate in your head, how many days, add it up theres your price. ;)
Dayrate here in stix seems to be `twix £100-£150...folding -in your pocket ;) +materials

carryoncamping said:
Are cracks in plaster more common on drywalling? The reason I ask is the walls in a friends' new house has plaster flaking off where the clout nails are.

I'm still contemplating what method of plastering to use for my extension i.e. drywalling or traditional plastering.

they probably missed the joist and left them in or they pierced the paper on the board its better to use scews. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back