Cracks in roughcast at extension / house joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just viewed a house which I'm considering buying. The house is two storey, brick / block external skin and load bearing internal timber frame. The house was built approx. 1990 and then extended approx. 2005.

At the extension to original house joint, there appears to be a movement joint in the brickwork in the first storey. The second storey has been roughcast, and there is a crack running right up the wall at the joint.

Should this have had a movement joint included in the rough cast too? Is it a 'big problem' that the rough cast has cracked, or is this just a cosmetic problem which can be 'fixed' by re-roughcasting and including a movement joint then? Should I be worried about potential cracks in the wall behind the roughcast?

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg

Sponsored Links
That cracking is the result of an expansion bead not being present in the render the lower expansion joint may continue up the wall and they have rendered over it , it's more than likely block under the render and the trouble you would have if you bought it is water getting in the cracks freezing and and blowing it or causing damp

Sponsored Links
Any cracks in render should be addressed as Steve said, if water gets in and freezes then it could "blow" the dash off!! You could grind down either side of the crack and fit an expansion joint and match it in with the rest of the dash!! I don't know whether they chased the brick work out and put that flexible caulking/mastic in. If not it might be worth chasing that out and put a deep flexible caulking/mastic in..What they have done maybe hiding a crack aswell!!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back