Retro Fitting Movement Joints into Concrete Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have been advised to have movement joints fitted into the walls on the house before it is rendered.

The walls in question are over 6m in length. The house is a timber frame construction with a standard dense 7N/sq.mm concrete block outer leaf.

I understand that there should be a movement joint every 6m along a straight wall and 3m from either an internal or external corner.

The roughcaster is going to cut down half way through the blocks with a Sthil saw before fitting the movement joint and then rendering.

I appreciate that the actual movement joint should have been a 10mm gap right through with frame ties either side in each course - not sure why the builder did not do this in the beginning ??

The house has been built for several years and no cracks have appeared, however I like the idea being suggested by the roughcaster.

I take it that there is no down side to this ?

Comments please ! :D

Sponsored Links
Use expamet (riblath) and render onto that. Render directly to blockwork is always prone to cracking. No need to be titting about cutting joints then.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back