Movement joints in garden wall

pgs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a garden wall, 1 brick thick (ie two skins), 7 courses high. There'll be a 10m stretch, a curved stretch (of about 5m), then a 15m stretch.

The question is, do I need vertical movement joints? Some sources talk about movement joints for brickwork in general - usually suggesting every 10-12m or so - but I'm wondering if the size or shape of my wall has an impact? There are plenty of garden walls in my neighbourhood of similar dimensions, but I don't see expansion joints in a single one (and they've been up for years without problems). Is that because it's overkill on a small garden wall, or because of ignorant brickies? Obviously I'd prefer not to have expansion joints if I don't need them as they'll spoil the look of my stretcher bond.

Sponsored Links
If the walls you have seen are older, they may have been built with lime mortar. This is more flexible than modern cement mortar and accomodates movement better.

Having said that, as long as your mortar is not too cement-rich, and the bricks are not fresh from the kiln, you should be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back