retaining wall advice, materials and joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to build a retaining wall, about 24 m long with three corners. Approximately 3m + 9m + 10m + 3m. The ground is very stable chalk and there would be no significant loads on the retained soil.

Options I am considering are
  1. 100 mm x 215mm x 440 blocks laid on their flats (belly down)
  2. The same blocks but laid conventionally (face out) as a "cavity wall" with ties
  3. Hollow concrete blocks, no infill or rebar
  4. Hollow concrete block, with concrete infill and rebar
If not using rebar, I might include engineering bricks as come out of ground level.

Following advice, I'd probably include some piers on the retaining face, every 3 -4 m.

Which of the above would be most appropriate? All concrete will have to be done with a mixer due to access / distance from road.

I'm assuming your recommendation will mostly be based on personal taste / preference as they all seem adequate to me (rebar seems overkill). However, I am more confused over the need (or not) for control/expansion/contraction joints in a concrete block retaining wall.

https://www.cba-blocks.org.uk/wp-co...kr5dsMTKJIpCMn9TP1TLrRW-BP7wdK2jwnfuMDE4dfigo

Following some guidance from elsewhere, am I now correct in thinking that such joints are not required in a garden retaining wall? Or are they required unless the wall is fully buried (e.g. foundation)? Every 6 m - 9 m appears to be the advice but would they introduce an unwanted weak point in a retaining wall? Yes, I am aware that ties and sliding pins can be used but this seems unnecessarily complex for an otherwise simple garden wall.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
The wall will expand and contract and if it cracks that's much weaker than a tied expansion joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back