Swapping tiers for a retaining wall

Reaction score
Hi, the rear garden of my property has three small tiers that go up to the top end of the garden. The tiers are about 3m total depth with a final height of the third one about 1.8m. They are currently held by three stone walls that are just set on the soil with no footings at all.

Basically I want to take out the first two tiers and just build a retaining wall about 1.8m high to free up this space. I have seen the other threads on retaining walls and they all seem to be pretty long. Mine would only need to be about 5m long.

I was planning to build it out of hollow concrete block on a reinforced concrete footing. I was going to reinforce the wall with rebar running horizontally and vertically and they fill the hollow with concrete. One end of the wall would tie to a very sturdy garage and I was going to form an L shape with the other end and gradually step it down to ground level and put a little fence along it as it is next to the boundary.

I was just wondering thoughts really? I don’t know if I’m going for overkill with all the rebar but most things I build are over engineered anyway. Help with footing dimension would be useful

ta

Sponsored Links
I have seen the other threads on retaining walls and they all seem to be pretty long. Mine would only need to be about 5m long.
That's going to one long thread.

I was planning to build it out of hollow concrete block on a reinforced concrete footing. I was going to reinforce the wall with rebar running horizontally and vertically and they fill the hollow with concrete. One end of the wall would tie to a very sturdy garage and I was going to form an L shape with the other end and gradually step it down to ground level and put a little fence along it as it is next to the boundary.

I was just wondering thoughts really? I don’t know if I’m going for overkill with all the rebar but most things I build are over engineered anyway. Help with footing dimension would be useful

ta

I'm guessing the wall will need to be about 2.5 (?) feet thick at the bottom as well as having reinforcement and a bloody good foundation. Have you thought about getting it designed? Whose property is it retaining? Have you thought about temporary works for when the inevitable rain comes?

Steel piling is quite efficient.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back