Two tiered garden - decking question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this in the gardening section, but i'm guessing the sunny weather here in Glossop has got them all out in their gardens. I was wondering if anyone here has come across this before.

My rear garden is split between two levels, with a retaining wall between the two levels. The top tier is about 6 feet above the lower. The upper tier has a crappy old patio on it.

I would like to put decking over the top of the patio to tidy it up a bit. With regards planning permission - the regs state decking should not exceed 30 cm from the ground - I am assuming that this relates to the ground under the decking, in which case I would be OK. But if the measurement is taken from the lower tier, it will be 6 feet higher - in which case I would need planning permission. Which level would one typically take the measurement from? Obviously I would construct a balustrade at the perimeter edge where the two tiers meet, ie along the edge of the retaining wall.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back