retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am about to start building my retaining wall which is going to be 9m long and 215mm wide (7n blocks laid flat) and was wondering if i caqn build the wall right across or if i am meant to put in movement joints. The wall will be 1m high.

I read somewhere that movement joints should be 3m from wall end and every 6m after that going the full height of the wall......does this sound right....will this not weaken the wall?

If i do have to do this should i be laying the end blocks (the ones near the joint) at right angles to the rest....ie 440mm wide

a bit confused about this and just want to get ot right.

thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
It won't weaken it, but, personally, I wouldn't bother with any joints over that length, as you've got "free" ends either end. You could always build some Brickforce into the joints to give it some more resistance to cracking, if you're concerned about it.

Hi, Trevor,
Yes Shytalks is right, 9mt does not require movement joints. expamet in the bed joints would make the wall tremedously strong, but as your laying the blocks flat it will be plenty strong enough anyway.
Just don't forget to put some weep tubes in near the base just in case there is any water build up, and some gravel or small hardcore packed in behind will help with drainage.

Sponsored Links
Hi Trevor
How'd the wall building go? I've got a wall to build in almost exact dimensions you describe (9m x 800mm) and planning on using concrete block 440 x 215 x 100 laying on its side.

Have found a nice design online for a retaining wall - http://goo.gl/OFf72 - with earth side of the wall backed in dpm/polythene and some land drainage pipe running along the bottom which I think can be used instead of or in addition to weep holes.

So all ready to lay my footings this morning. Am using all in ballast at a ratio of 1:4 to try and get to C35 standard. Then I read about movement or expansion joints!

But reading this thread I am happy not to include one as hopefully the wall will be strong enough.

Be interested to hear how you got on though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back