Cracks in roughcast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently moved house with a detached garage, I was removing ivy from it today and there is a crack in the roughcast running from top to bottom starting at the top it is about 5mm and getting narrower towards the bottom.
Looks like the ivy has been protecting it from the elements.

My question is can it be repaired easily and if so how, any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No doubt about it, any crack in an external wall should be repaired as soon as possible for the reason you stated. It is almost impossible to patch up cracked roughcast without it being noticeable. It will always look patched and would probably crack again over time. Depends how much it would bother you. The ultimate way would be to cut away the roughcast either side of the crack and investigate the brick/blockwork which might also be cracked, carry out any repairs as required, scratch coat it back in and then re-coat the whole wall with a matching roughcast.

Roughcaster.

Thanks Roughcaster the cosmetic look doesn't bother me as I can't see it from the house and no one else can, the only thing that bothers me is the rain getting into the crack can I fill the crack with anything that would make it
water tight.

Hi Para,
The quickest short term solution for now, just to make it watertight, would be to run a bead of silicone... or to "point" an external mastic flexi material into the crack, until you decide your next move...... A similar, quicker version of what I said to you in the earlier post might be of interest...... Presuming the brick/blockwork is cracked through as well, cut away the roughcast say 7 or 8 inches either side of the crack, and fix strips of s/steel wire lath mesh over the crack to reinforce and tie the two sides together. After, give the area a wet down etc, and then "scratch coat" the area that has been cut away with mortar, containing a waterproofing admix. Leave to harden for a day or so and then roughcast the patch in.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Roughcaster short term solution I think for now that is the extent of my ability, I will get it properly repaired and roughcasted in the spring months need to get it sealed pretty quickly with the weather good just now in scotland.

Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back