Cracks in walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just doing a general assessment of
My property. I bought it a while ago and homebuyers report noted no real issues with subsidence etc.

the back of the house has a balcony with a recess underneath (see pics)

at the back of this recess i can see big cracks in the render (this wall essentially sits on the foundations)

does this look like a serious problem? Could it just be the render cracking? It worth chipping it off and having a look underneath?

I haven’t got under the floorboards behind it yet but can pull them up and see if it’s wet etc

everything above is straight. Windows and doors ok.

see pics.

thanks

Attachments

• 8DDF193F-8302-4A7E-B4AC-3E63210A5955.jpeg
    8DDF193F-8302-4A7E-B4AC-3E63210A5955.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 987B0313-3BA9-4EA2-8359-6236D09BA623.jpeg
    987B0313-3BA9-4EA2-8359-6236D09BA623.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Dylan123, good evening.

Are there any indications of the cracks [especially] to the right hand side, as seen on the posted image, outside the balcony enclosed area??

One, non-destructive way of investigating a crack is to use a very, very thin probe, which is pushed into the crack.

The probe can be a thin piece of wire or a thin plastic tie wrap? Insert the [wire] into the crack and see how far it goes in.

If the wire stops just after being pushed into the cracked render then the crack is only in the render??

Ken.

Dylan123, good evening.

Are there any indications of the cracks [especially] to the right hand side, as seen on the posted image, outside the balcony enclosed area??

One, non-destructive way of investigating a crack is to use a very, very thin probe, which is pushed into the crack.

The probe can be a thin piece of wire or a thin plastic tie wrap? Insert the [wire] into the crack and see how far it goes in.

If the wire stops just after being pushed into the cracked render then the crack is only in the render??

Ken.

Thanks for your response. I tried to see but it’s behind the steps and essentially hidden from view. After the steps is the void under the kitchen where I can clearly see the wall, I rendered, and there are no cracks whatsoever. For the perhaps 3 - 5 feet where the steps are, I can’t see what’s there.

the steps themselves have no cracks or movement, and the wall above has no cracking.

I will try with the wire but I doubt I could get much into the gap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back