Cracks to our pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping some of you lovely people can help me!

We recently noticed some cracks to our pebble dash rendering (photos attached)

I'm not sure if its something to worry about or whether its totally normal?! The house is a 1960s build...

We have a huge window to the front of the house and one of the cracks is below it and what looks to be small cracks to the brick work? And the other is above the window but we can't see the extent of it towards the top of the house. The one below - we have a hairline crack on the inside in more or less the same place which looks like it may get bigger towards the bottom but we have a radiator in the way so can't see right down to the bottom.

Just worried it could be a sign of the dreaded S word!

Thanks

Attachments

• Above window.jpg
    Above window.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 300
  • below window close.jpg
    below window close.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 260
  • below window.jpg
    below window.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 406
  • brickwork.jpg
    brickwork.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 292
  • inside behind rad.jpg
    inside behind rad.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 243
Sponsored Links
IvyFlood, good evening.

Can I ask that you post more images of the entire elevation, and images further back from the areas of the cracks externally.

Is the internal plaster on plasterboard or a solid wall??

Ken.

Hi Ken

Please see further images (it’s getting dark mind!)

It is a solid wall, the wall of the front elevation.

Attachments

• D8FC3BE8-7C91-4B69-9790-121B74A0506E.jpeg
    D8FC3BE8-7C91-4B69-9790-121B74A0506E.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 203
  • FF8E87AC-937D-4C9D-BD0E-44592E0DEEE3.jpeg
    FF8E87AC-937D-4C9D-BD0E-44592E0DEEE3.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 327
  • C551419A-3A22-4BAA-85DF-B8541A9D8392.jpeg
    C551419A-3A22-4BAA-85DF-B8541A9D8392.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 420
IvyFlood, good evening, again.

From what can be seen, the cracks appear to be "thermal"

is that front elevation south facing, or getting a load of sun on it?

What happens is that the wall heats up, there is no "built in" expansion / contraction" gaps, combined with several lateral weak points in the wall, below and between the large windows.

By any chance have you seen any such cracking in any of the properties around you?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Hi Ken

Thanks very much for the reply. So you don’t think it’s subsidence?

It is South Westerly facing and as we are a corner plot, we get the extreme of all weather!

Do you think the cracks need to be repaired as if water gets in them and freezes they could expand and blow, possibly damage the brickwork and cause penetrating damp?

My husband had a chat with our neighbours and they said they’ve got cracks all over both internal and external. He didn’t stay on it too long as they mentioned they had a leak in their roof! I keep meaning to have a close inspection of their pebble dash but they’ve always been in and don’t think they’d appreciate me at their front window! From what I can see they have a faint horizontal crack running between the two upstairs windows which we also have too.

IvyFlood,

No I am not saying Subsidence, i was trying to say "expansion and contraction of the external bricks?

Suggest you Google, Thermal movement of brickwork?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back