Moving a window - will this cause a problem with pebbledash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a house which is pebbledashed, and am thinking of moving my bathroom window. Window is currently small and high up, and I woud rather it was larger and lower, to give better light. If I 'cut' a new hole for the larger/lower window, is this likely to cause a problem with the pebble dash/render? Is it likely to crack and fall off?! Would be garteful for any advice/warnings!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
patching pebbledash is notoriously difficult, the smaller the patch the worse the problem.

Hello,

I have a house which is pebbledashed, and am thinking of moving my bathroom window. Window is currently small and high up, and I woud rather it was larger and lower, to give better light. If I 'cut' a new hole for the larger/lower window, is this likely to cause a problem with the pebble dash/render? Is it likely to crack and fall off?! Would be garteful for any advice/warnings!

Thanks

Check if the dash is 'live' ie sounds hollow. If it is , you will get sheets of it coming off.

If it is sound you should be okay in that regard.

To make a bigger hole won't be too bad. I would not lower it, just extend it downwards so you do not have much wall to repair

Nail on a timber frame the size of the new hole. Use a 4'' grinder (keep safe!) to cut into the dash back into the brick/block work, usig the timbers as a guide.

You can Use the grinder to cut slots in the hole area and then bolster out the dashing . Then do the same for the brickwork until you have a nice hole, the right size.

Fit the window, and then just render the reveals, making a small raised band of render around the window, (a ''patent reveal'').

It will be hard to match dashing, so a render reveal will look better in my opinion, but you could just butter up and dash the reveals if you have a good straight line cut around the window

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, that's very helpful! As you say I think extending the existing window downwards would be a more straightforward way to do it as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back